Teaching Artist (Viola) at YOLA at Torres
February 20, 2020
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
Teaching Artist (Viola) at YOLA at Torres
Founded in 1919, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association's mission is to perform, present, and promote music in its varied forms at the highest level of excellence to a diverse and large audience, both at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl. The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is dedicated to continuing its pre-eminent status in the music world of the 21st century.
YOLA is the LA Philharmonic Music and Artistic Director, Gustavo Dudamel’s signature program. YOLA is inspired by El Sistema, the music education system that provides half-a-million children with free musical instruments and intensive musical instruction In Venezuela. Central to YOLA’s mission is the promotion of healthy growth and development through the study, practice and performance of music. Simultaneously, YOLA positively invests in each child’s development as a musical ambassador of peace, hope, and understanding amongst a diverse population of cultures, backgrounds and beliefs. YOLA currently serves approximately 1000 elementary, middle, and high school students.
The Teaching Artist (Viola), reporting to the Program Manager, YOLA @ Torres, is responsible for the viola instruction at the Youth Orchestra Los Angeles (YOLA) site located on the campus of the East LA Performing Arts Magnet at Torres High School. The employee will ensure the highest quality learning experience for YOLA students, support each child holistically, and create curriculum, pedagogy, and lesson plans in collaboration with other YOLA music faculty. The employee will support the YOLA philosophy and community and help facilitate community and family involvement.
As a YOLA at Torres faculty member, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with YOLA faculty to create a shared curriculum and culture inspired by the ideals and philosophies of El Sistema
- Instructing beginning viola and woodwinds in classes consisting of up to 10 elementary school students
- Assisting with full orchestra rehearsals, playing in the section, and collaborating with the YOLA Conductor at the discretion of the program manager
- Communicating with YOLA academic tutors and parents to understand each child holistically
- Attending music pedagogy and tutoring professional development sessions
- Preparation and communication with music teachers, YOLA Conductor, Program Manager, and LA Phil Staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Four-year undergraduate degree, post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of orchestral music, music reading skills, and music pedagogy
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in underserved communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Ability to work weekends and evenings
How to apply:
Complete the online application by clicking here.
- Complete the application with all pertinent information
- At the end of the application, a confirmation page will appear when you have submitted your application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association embraces and is committed to diversity and inclusion within our staff, musicians, guest artists, audiences, and surrounding communities. The Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and religious grooming), sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition or information, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with the law, the Association also provides reasonable accommodation for disabled applicants and employees in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, for pregnant employees who request an accommodation with the advice of their health care providers, for pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions; for employees who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking; and for applicants and employees based on their religious beliefs and practices.
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquiries about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at email@example.com or fax at 213 972 0721.
Please note: The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO.
| | | |