YOLA Instrument Coordinator
January 13, 2020
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is currently seeking a:
YOLA Instrument Coordinator
Founded in 1919, the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association's mission is to perform, present, and promote music in its varied forms at the highest level of excellence to a diverse and large audience, both at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl. The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association is dedicated to continuing its pre-eminent status in the music world of the 21st century.
YOLA is the LA Philharmonic Music and Artistic Director, Gustavo Dudamel’s signature program. YOLA is inspired by El Sistema, the music education system that provides half-a-million children with free musical instruments and intensive musical instruction In Venezuela. Central to YOLA’s mission is the promotion of healthy growth and development through the study, practice and performance of music. Simultaneously, YOLA positively invests in each child’s development as a musical ambassador of peace, hope, and understanding amongst a diverse population of cultures, backgrounds and beliefs. YOLA currently serves approximately 1000 elementary, middle, and high school students.
The YOLA Instrument Inventory Coordinator, reporting to the Associate Director, Social Innovation, is responsible for the management and maintenance of the inventory of all musical instruments and related supplies belonging to YOLA (Youth Orchestra Los Angeles). This position supports and serves the YOLA community of program administration, teachers, and students.
- Collaborate with YOLA site staff to maintain accurate inventory, assignment, and security of musical instruments and related equipment
- Act as the primary contact for instrument and supply needs for our YOLA sites
- Develop and maintain relationships with instrument sales and repair vendors
- Ensure all instruments have proper setup and supplies
- Perform basic repairs: regulating, tuning, and maintaining musical instruments as needed
- Check instruments for minor repair issues such as leaks, setting sound posts, etc.
- Coordinate Advanced Instrument Repair as needed
- Deliver to and act as primary communication with repair shops
- Maintain documentation of work orders, completed repairs, and instruments sent to vendors
- Advise on the purchase of instruments and equipment as requested
- Actively research and understand the market of student instruments
- Deliver instruments and supplies frequently to various program sites
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience or background in repair and maintenance of a variety of musical instruments, with a strong preference for string instrument experience
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite required, with experience using contact databases or Salesforce CRM preferred
- Familiarity with El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in under-resourced communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred, but not required
- A driver’s license and ability to travel between YOLA sites
- Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience preferred
How to apply:
Complete the online application by clicking here.
- Complete the application with all pertinent information
- At the end of the application, a confirmation page will appear when you have submitted your application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association embraces and is committed to diversity and inclusion within our staff, musicians, guest artists, audiences, and surrounding communities. The Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and religious grooming), sex (including pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition or information, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with the law, the Association also provides reasonable accommodation for disabled applicants and employees in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, for pregnant employees who request an accommodation with the advice of their health care providers, for pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions; for employees who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking; and for applicants and employees based on their religious beliefs and practices.
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO.
For auditions information, please visit the Auditions page.
For inquiries about employment for Security, Guest Services, or Building Operations at Walt Disney Concert Hall, please contact the Music Center by email at email@example.com or fax at 213 972 0721.
Please note: The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO.